Job Opening: CDL Apprentice
CDL Apprentice (Expired)
Saint Albans, VT
CDL Driver Apprentice
Pay: $2$18-$20 per Hour
The CDL Driver Apprentice will obtain a Commercial Driving Permit and complete the required CDL instruction and training to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle providing service to customers in their respective Line of Business (LOB) while working alongside a knowledgeable Trainer. The incumbent will continue in the apprentice role until all training requirements are completed and (s)he has passed the CDL licensing exam and road test.
Key Accountabilities (Essential Job Functions):
· Performs pre/post trip inspections of assigned vehicle in accordance with company safety standards as well as state and federal regulations; ensures all safety equipment and devices are operational and secured properly in vehicle; maintains appearance of truck in accordance with company standards.
· Performs and exhibits dedication to safe operation of roll rear load, front load, side load, roll off trucks on streets, highways, customer sites, and construction sites.
· Provides a distinguishably different level of service through courteous interactions with all customers and provides service in a timely manner; exhibits a positive attitude towards company, customer, and municipal goals.
· Follows route assignments and completes end of day documentation; completes all assigned company and federally mandated paperwork accurately.
· Completes assigned route sheet for one Line of Business (LOB); empties all receptacles, places bins serviced at any location back where they were picked up in the upright position and cleans area around accidental waste spills.
· Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs and meetings as required by Company or Manager.
· Notifies Dispatch immediately of any customer requests, service interruptions, incidents, accidents, property damage, or unsafe situations.
· Exhibits an ability to be observant and aware of surroundings at all times and is mindful of any and all laborers on the truck and demonstrates an ability to use problem solving skills.
· Assists driver with all backing maneuvers while on route.
· Participates in training and other learning opportunities to expand knowledge of the company, products, sales, and services and performs any other duties needed to help drive our vision, fulfill our mission, and/or abide by our core values.
Career Path Definitions & Distinctions
Apprentice: Completes training for Helper safety (Rear Load Residential), customer service training and required training to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle while providing service to customers in their line of business. Obtains CDL Permit.
Class I Driver: Demonstrates the ability to complete assigned route sheet for 1 Line of Business as well as ability to complete tasks necessary as to one of the following: Rear load, front load, side load, roll off trucks.
Class II Driver: Demonstrates the ability to complete assigned route sheet for 2 Lines of Business as well as ability to complete tasks necessary as to two of the following: Rear load, front load, side load, roll off trucks. Shows development and improvement of communication skills with customers and coworkers. Exhibits evidence of increased knowledge of the company and industry. Illustrates an ability to be a mentor to new employees.
Class III Driver: Demonstrates the ability to complete assigned route sheet for 3 Lines of Business as well as ability to complete tasks necessary as to three of the following: Rear load, front load, side load, roll off trucks. Demonstrates an increased effort of providing positive contributions to the community on behalf of the community. Displays a capability to participate in training and development of new employees.
Lead Driver: Demonstrates the ability to develop driver training plans and coach employees to achieve successful outcomes. Exhibits the ability to complete assigned route sheets for all lines of business. Provides courteous customer service and communicates professionally with customers and employees. Actively participates in the company’s progress with the career paths program and helps drivers to move up in their careers.
· Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets firsthand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with the customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with the customers and gains their trust and respect.
· Problem Solving – Recognizes problems as they arise and uses good judgement and common sense to resolve issues; uses experience and knowledge to anticipate problems; considers all evidence and the context in which the problem occurs to find solutions; spots problems, opportunities and threats early; does not avoid problems; can identify trends before problems occur; participates in team-based problem solving by providing constructive input.
· Action Oriented – Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
· Peer Relationships (Teamwork) – Able to quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of the team; can represent interests and be fair to others; is viewed as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of team; can be candid; and encourages collaboration.
· Time Management – Uses time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broad range of activities.
Positive, team-oriented individual who has a strong work ethic, is committed to safety, customer driven, open to personal and professional training and development, and results-oriented with the ability to see the larger picture while focusing on detailed information.
APPLY NOW FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION FOR THE CDL APPRENTICE POSITION!
Military Personnel and Veterans are encouraged to apply.
· Excellent listening, communication, and problem-solving skills
· Proven work ethic and commitment to safety
· Good customer service skills
· Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team in a collaborative environment Preferred
· Previous commercial driving experience
· High School Diploma or GED.
· Legally eligible to work in the US
· Current state issued standard CDL driver’s permit, Class B permit with air brake endorsement, or the ability to obtain one within 6 months
· Must be at least 18 years of age
· Physical ability to handle objects more than 77 lbs. frequently
· Ability and willingness to work under many different weather conditions