Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm
Pay: $13.60-$16.94/hour DOE
This is a full time position that is located in the office of the Clerk and Recorder / Election Administrator and is responsible for assisting with the administration, organization and management of Federal, State and County elections in accordance with Montana State Law. Providing assistance to the general public, collecting and receipting fees received, conducting research, receiving and processing documents and a variety of other duties related to office operations.
In addition to regular business hours of Monday – Friday from 8 am – 5 pm, there are additional hours required during election cycles and on election days.
This position will establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of individuals, groups and organizations.
Each essential function listed below makes up a portion of the job, and all other functions are included in “Other Duties as Assigned”. Duties of the position are not all inclusive and subject to change.
1) Reviews and interprets complex Montana election laws, regulations and policies that pertain to Federal, State and County election procedure.
2) Plans, organizes and evaluates the functions and activities of election programs and processes.
3) Manages voter registration software, election details, and maintenance of voter records.
4) Maintains candidate information, terms, qualifications and filing dates.
5) Prepares correspondence, statistical reports and legal documents.
6) Assists in approval and verification of petitions in accordance with statutory requirements.
7) Provides customer service in a sincere and tactful manner.
8) Schedules and prioritizes work to meet constant and changing deadlines.
9) Responsible for preparation of election equipment, testing, ballot layout and proofing during an election cycle.
10) Manages and verifies documents, including the scanning, filing, preparing, including but not limited to the following types of documents: voter records, petitions, land records, surveys, subdivisions, and vital records.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Performs a variety of other duties as assigned by the Clerk and Recorder / Election Administrator. This includes participating in special projects, filling in for other employees, participating in ongoing trainings and attending approved seminars and workshops.
This position requires knowledge or the ability to learn, retain and understand Federal, State and County election laws, rules, and procedures; modern office procedures and equipment; data processing, policies and operations as applied to elections; operations and functions of county government; reading and interpreting legal descriptions and documentation; records management; research methods; customer service techniques; skill in the use of various computer software and systems; and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school (HiSet or GED) plus three (3) years job-related work experience. Experience working directly with the public, experience in Federal, State and or County elections processes. Must have the ability to multi task while providing good service to customers. Basic knowledge of general office equipment such copiers, printers, phones, fax, credit card machines and calculators is necessary. Demonstrated skills with computer, MS Word and other Microsoft applications, data entry, proficient 10 key operation, typing accuracy and minimum speed of 25 wpm, penmanship skills are required for this position.