Westaff is recruiting for a Permanent Full time
Buyer/Planner for a company in Thomaston, CT
Salary: 55-65k doe
This position performs the planning function for all customer and inventory orders as well as purchase orders
- Creates Work Orders in VISUAL MRP for all fabricated in house parts with delivery dates that meet Customer Sales Order required delivery dates
- Works with Purchasing to use Supplier Portal to launch purchase orders for pre-quoted and sourced parts with MRP demand
- Issues Purchase Orders for materials or outside services required for Work Order. Maintains Supplier On-Time delivery for all PO’s placed
- Maintains Customer On-Time Delivery. Participates in Production meetings and works closely with Customer Service to meet Customer requirements
- Checks manufacturing capacity - if Sales Order permits, puts in VISUAL to ship early if manufacturing capacity is available earlier.
- Works closely with Production departments, Quality and Manufacturing Engineering; Is responsible for tracking progress of Work Order until product is shipped.
- Reviews VISUAL Requirements and shortages daily.
- Reviews Backlog Report, Open Orders and status of parts daily.
- Reviews Shipping Report to ensure Customer On-Time delivery
- Reviews Open Purchase Order Report and MRB report
- Participates in Pre-production meetings and reviews Bill of Material (BOM) to help ensure proper planning of production Work Orders
- Ensures that all Item Master part data (such as Lead-Time, Cost, etc.) is accurate and up to date
- Reviews "Past Build History" for Sales (if part or component was previously made for another Customer). Provides lead-time for Customer Service quotes
Customer/Vendor Work Relationships
- Sales: Keeps Sales updated on status of Work Orders
- Finance: All items related to component price
- QC: Vendor, and all other quality issues
- Manufacturing: Delivery of materials - shop capacity
- Engineering: All issues related to design
- Represents the Materials Group on Continuous Improvement Task Teams
- Analytical thinker, Multitasking, Problem Solving in a fast paced Team Environment
Performs other duties as assigned by Manager Materials.
Reports to Manager Materials. Ensures that all work is done in accordance with Customer specifications and Company Policy. Keeps Manager Materials aware of all progress and problems.
Education / Experience
5 years' or more experience as a Planner, with prior Purchasing or Planner/Buyer experience. Experience issuing Purchase Orders, Work Orders, manufacturing capacity, etc.
Must have strong computer skills, Preferably with Visual MRP
Experience in the following is strongly preferred: 5S, Continuous Improvement, On-Time Delivery, Routine Total Preventative Maintenance and the submission of Improvement Ideas.
High School/Trade School plus BS degree in Business or related field preferred.
Environmental / Safety / Time Allocation
Spends between 70% of time working at a desk in a normal office environment.Spends between 30% of time on work away from desk, including going out into shop and discussing manufacturing issues with QC inspectors and Manufacturing Department personnel. Must wear eye protection and any other required personal protective equipment while on the shop floor.